The smog over Delhi is a product of many factors that includes temperature inversion stubble burning, and a host of faulty practices. Temperature inversion, which traps pollutants will take place every year, no one has any control over it. It can only be mitigated, not controlled.
- Measures to combat Suspended particulate material in the Atmosphere over Delhi
- The biggest problem in Delhi is road dust, not vehicles. This is where the maximum focus is needed. The road-vacuuming plan can make by far the biggest contribution to pollution reduction. But it needs some deep ancillary thinking. If a thousand road vacuumers operate on Delhi’s streets, they will suck up literally thousands of tonnes of dust every month. This will create a problem of their disposal. Delhi’s landfills are already overfilled. Besides, dust put in landfills will blow right back on to the streets, defeating the whole point of vacuuming. Converting dust into sand will ease pollution, solve the problem of dust of dust dumping, reduce illegal sand mining, lower sand price and boost the construction industry. The best solution is converting them into bricks. At the same time a Government that provides Rs 11, 000 crores to the farmers to use machines that will prevent stubble burning,
- Revitalise water bodies like lakes, rivers and lakes so that they can absorb high temperature and some gaseous elements as well.
- Reforetation, Afforestaion drive along roadsides and along the medians4. Cover landfills with vegetation
- Immediate Measures
- Close Badarpur plant
- Stop construction activity
- Stop manual sweeping
- Sprinkle water over roads to allow dust to settle
- Close schools to prevent children’s exposure.
- Ban diesel vehicles older than 10 years
- Mitigation measures:
Use of Green plants indoor such as
Where: Useful in kitchens with gas stoves
Why: Controls carbon monoxide, xylene
SANSEVIERIA, OR MOTHER-IN LAW’S TONGUE
Where: Potted plant, can be put in balcony or near the window
Why: Helps absorb carbon monoxide
Where: Best for hanging baskets, grows easily in bright to medium light
Why: Reduces formaldehyde, xylene
Where: Can be kept anywhere, but especially useful in carpeted rooms or those with freshly painted furniture
Why: Reduces negative impact of xylene and formaldehyde
Where: Best for hanging baskets, effective in freshly painted rooms, or those with computers, printers, fax machines, and at petrol stations
Why: Acts against benzene, formaldehyde, xylene
- COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION:
Restructure Command structure to Issue direction Cover exposed areas of soil with vegetation to Community Groups and RWA.