There are books written completely from a geographical angle that are neither scientific nor carries any authenticity. Essential scientific models, concepts and terms (particularly, for deeper knowledge of the subject) are explained in boxed sections which are separated from the text in order to facilitate the use of the book with wide academic background and interest. The approach taken is firmly based on sound scientific principles. The emphasis is on the simplification of the concepts. Special attention has been paid to the simplification. Therefore, the book has been designed. The layout and make-up of the pages is such that students belonging to different categories can use it alike.
It is the Best book available in the market from an angle of Oceanography for Civil Services in the sense that is most modern with an approach that is completely suited to Civil Services Examination. You would have noticed that all recent questions that are not found anywhere in India are available in this book, whether it is seiches, biological desert or bathymetric survey…….
There is no match for the book either contentwise, concept wise illustration wise or design wise Internationally recognized.
Organization of the Book
The book is divided into five parts—the first part deals with the Basic Concepts, the second part deals with the Geophysical part of the Oceans including global tectonics, the third part deals with the Chemical Properties, the fourth with the Biological Part and the fifth with Resource Part and usefulness for the mankind.
Contents of the Book
- Basic Concepts: The Lithosphere, The Atmosphere, The Hydrosphere, The Biosphere.
- The Ocean Floor: Introduction, The Oceanic Crust: Structure and Composition, Ocean Bottom Relief, Probing the Ocean Floor, Nomenclature of Ocean, Bottom Features, Permanency of Ocean Bottom Relief of Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Ocean.
- Seawater: Introduction, Origin of Seawater, The Materials in Seawater, Variations in Salinity, Law of Constant Proportion, Density of Seawater.
- Temperature: Introduction, Sources of Heat and Insolation of Oceans, Factors, Factors Governing Insolation, Heat Budget of the Earth-Atmosphere System, Transfer of Energy in Earth-Atmosphere-Ocean System, Temperature Distribution in Oceans – Horizontal Distribution of Temperature, Temperature Variations.
- Marine Ecology: Introduction, Marine Organisms and their Habitat, Divisions of Marine Habitat, Distribution of Marine Life.
- Coral Reefs: Introduction, Biology of Corals, Ecology of Corals, Factors Controlling Distribution, Minor Reef Features, Geology of Coral Reef Formation – Theories of Reef Formation.
- Ocean Deposits: Introduction, Types of Deposits – Lithogenous, Hydrogenous, Biogenous, Cosmogenous.
- Water Masses: Introduction, T-S Diagrams, Properties of Water Masses, Types of Water Masses.
- Ocean Circulation: Introduction, Currents: Some General Observations, Factors Controlling Ocean Circulation, El Nino, Western Intensification of Currents, World Ocean Currents.
- Waves: Introduction, Origin of a Wave, Wave Anatomy, Types of Wave-Wind Generated Waves, Seiches, Tsunamis.
- Tides: Introduction, Types of Tide, Origin of Tides – Theories of Tide, Tidal Bore.
- Sea Level Changes: Introduction, Evidences of Sea Level Changes, Mechanisms of Sea Level Changes, Impact of Sea Level Change, Impact of Projected Sea Level Rise.
- Marine Resources: Introduction, Maritime Zones, Types of Marine Resources, Resources: Extent, Distribution and Utilisation, Problems of Marine Resources – Marine Pollution, Conservation of Marine Resources.
- Marine Pollution
- Law Of The Sea
The book has been reviewed, approved and recommended by the NATIONAL BOOK TRUST, Government of India.