I will answer this question, by moulding this question, “What can India do to be ahead of China in terms of economic development”?
Economic growth is not a good paradigm if one wants to progress, and sustain progress, because growth is not sustainable while development is. Growth has a lot of side effects which can be devastating for any economy including sometimes robbing the happiness of the people.
Manufacturing is part of the process of industrialisation induced growth, but industrialisation is much more than manufacturing, and India needs to industrialise in a sustainable manner in order to progress, develop, be happy and sustain it. Thinking only about manufacturing has devastating side effects for the country, it’s people and its environment. Environment,, society, it’s people and sustainability cannot be separated now.
Although the question has been asked specifically on manufacturing, the motive looks like asking how is it that we can be better than China?
HOW CAN INDIA BEAT CHINA IN DEVELOPMENT
1. Develop the people and their attitude in the same manner as what the British did to Indians. Attitudinal training to make them think towards their own country, love their own country and respect what their country has in terms of resources, it’s people. India hasn’t got a dearth of talent, but it is the attitude that holds the progress of the country.
2. Help them build their own social capital, as it will be this capital which will be needed in order to forge the business ahead. Indians are generally very poor in forming social capital that has prevented them even from forming a very good cordial relations with Nepal and other neighbours.
3. Attitudinal training with objectivity and the willingness to fall in disciplined lines is what is required to achieve scalability of operation in anything that India can do.
4. Bring about structural and organisational changes in education so that we start producing a labour force, an intellectual force, and a working force that will be able to specialise as well as go for lateral changes in their will and their Skill and increasingly seek more equality of opportunity or to create an opportunity for themselves if they wish to.
WHAT CAN BE DONE TO OUTSTRIP CHINA IN GROWTH.
1. Spruce up the infrastructure to improve transport and power with an equal eye on not damaging the environment.
2. Skill sector to come up to global demands.
3. Produce a team of world class teachers and trainers as well as incubation centres which can produce new workforce at an exponential rate.
4. Take preventive steps in not damaging the environment, since in future there will be a lot of internalisation of costs that will be required to check and correct any environmental degradation with a concomitant rise in the input cost of environmental management.
WHAT CAN BE DONE FOR INDUSTRIALISATION.
Industrialisation is a process of value addition to any skill, any attitude any resource or to any thought in an organised and institutionalised manner to produce goods, services and knowledge that is both local wisdom and universal knowledge having a high degree of scalability and innovative prowess.
industrialisation has two paradigms-one, INDIAN form with an attendant emphasis on manufacturing based on local wisdom and creativity, and the other, Western form of manufacturing based on organisation, technology and innovation.
INDIAN WISDOM AND FORM OF INDUSTRIALISATION.
1. India is very rich in local wisdom, perhaps the richest in the whole of the world. The diversity of India lends itself To manufacturing what not and that too in different types of geographical environments, some of them being niche and the products endemic of sorts. These includes fabrics, apparels, artefacts, embroidery, medicines, decoration products, handicrafts cuisines, and what not. India has to make special efforts to preserve them as well as promote them both at domestic level as well as at an international level by finding new markets. These products will be new niche products capable of creating a market for India that will be seeing India in its true soft power form. Such products and also some services will leverage India to a new height globally.
2. Create a pool of trained manpower who can help the world decentralise these products manufacturing.
WESTERN FORM OF MANUFACTURING
Please visit this link for a very crisp explanation of suggestions